The chancel (shown more clearly below right) is the eastern part of the church where the choir, when they are singing, and clergy sit. The word chancel comes from the Latin cancellus meaning lattice. It is the front part of the church where the service is conducted, as distinct from the nave, where the congregation sits.
The chancel is an elevated section, three steps up from the nave. It is separated from the nave by steps, a rail and the arch which has written on it: "O COME, LET US WORSHIP AND FALL DOWN AND KNEEL BEFORE THE LORD OUR MAKER" (shown right).
The chancel is where the portable altar is placed for Sunday Parish Communion. Find out about the altar linen on the page Altar linen.
The organ is situated in the chancel and information about it can be found on the page The organ. There are six choir stalls in the chancel and the sanctuary chairs and litany tables are in the chancel and sanctuary. Find out about these on the page Choir stalls and the page Sanctuary chairs and litany desks.
The chancel roof beams, in the shape of an A and O (shown left), remind us that God is beginning and the end, Alpha and Omega, the first and last letters of the Greek alphabet. On the arch corbels in the chancel are the heads of the Virgin Mary on the north side and St James on the south side. They can be seen on the page Stonework and tilework in the chancel and sanctuary.
There is only one stained glass window in the chancel on the north side which was erected in 1921 and commemorates the Revd CR Job. It represents 'St John the Evangelist' (1921). "To the Glory of God and in the Memory of Charles Robert Job, Priest Vicar of this Parish AD 1893-1914 Erected by Parishioners and Friends" See this and the sanctuary windows on the page The sanctuary & chancel stained glass windows.