Clock restoration

The clock faces were taken away in September for a major restoration project at the clockmakers. The clock was built by J Smith & Sons of Derby in 1893, and this is the first major refurbishment of the faces. Work will include cleaning and shot blasting the copper-backed cast iron faces back to base metal, replacing the back and repainting them their original colours of black and gold, and applying gold leaf. They should be back in place by the end of November.

There are 11 photos for this gallery.
Preparing the scaffolding Preparing the scaffolding A view of one of the faces before it was removed
A view of one of the faces from the inside The degraded paint The empty spaces after the clock faces were removed
The scaffolding around the tower Looking up at the scaffolding A clock face in the workshop
A cleaned up clock face Ongoing work