St Luke's Hospital in Milo
Milo is located in the south west of Tanzania, high on a ridge in the Southern Highlands. It is about 550 miles from the capital Dar Es Salaam. The journey by road takes at least 14 hours.
St Luke's serves a catchment area of six villages with a total population of about 9,000 people. Many are very poor in this remote area which is not reached by government services. The hospital buildings (shown left) are located round a quadrangle. There are about 50 beds for in-patients and a well used outpatient’s dispensary. In a typical year about 230 babies are delivered, many by Caesarean section.
This basic hostel for relatives (shown right) was built with a £1000 donation from our special Millennium Appeal. It provides simple sleeping and cooking facilities. Relatives have to cook all the food required by their sick relative whilst they are in the hospital.
St James gave £5000 from Betty Stewart’s legacy towards the purchase of a suitable replacement vehicle for the hospital. A good second-hand Toyota Land Cruiser was purchased for £12,500 in October 2015.
Here it is being handed over to Dr Benedict Sandagila (shown left). A few weeks later Bishop Matthew Mhagama blessed and commissioned the vehicle while in Milo for the Bible School's graduation ceremony.