St James's Church is committed to safeguarding children, young people and vulnerable adults to worship and grow in Christ safely.
Parish Policy Statement on Safeguarding Children and Vulnerable Adults
• Every person has a value and dignity, which comes directly from the creation of people in God’s image. Christians see this potential as fulfilled by God’s re-creation of us in Christ. Among other things this implies a duty to value all people as bearing the image of God and therefore to protect them from harm.
• We commit ourselves to nurture, protect and safeguard all our members, particularly children, young people and vulnerable adults.
• We recognise that safeguarding is the responsibility of the whole church.
• We undertake to exercise proper care in the selection, appointment, training and support of those working with children or vulnerable adults.
• We will respond without delay to concerns or allegations that a child or vulnerable adult may have been harmed, cooperating fully in any investigation.
• We will challenge any abuse of power by anyone in a position of trust.
• We will seek to offer pastoral care to anyone who has suffered abuse.
• We will seek to offer pastoral care and support, including supervision and referral to the proper authorities, to any member of our church community known to have offended against a child, young person or vulnerable adult.
The PCC of this Church agreed and adopted the above Policy at its meeting on May 12th, 2015. They appointed Jane Newman as Church Safeguarding Officer (CSO) and Stuart Richardson as Children's Champion. The PCC reviews this policy annually.
Local Safeguarding Children Board: 020 8891 7969 (Out of hours: 020 8744 2442)