The church buildings through the years

The church and grounds


When the church was first built in 1863 it was a simple, solitary rectangular building costing £1,300, with nave 67 feet by 24 feet, chancel 24 feet by 20 feet and small vestry room. This page covers the actual building of the church, church hall and vicarage through the years. 

Until 2016 November 

Follow the links below to find out what happened from when records began up until November 2016 when Revd Derek Winterburn became the tenth vicar of St James's.

The church building through the years | The tower & spire through the years | The clock and bells through the years | The west porch through the years | The stained glass windows through the years | The church hall through the years | The vicarage through the years

From 2016 November

In the autumn of 2016 the clock faces were restored. An inspection of the tower at the same time revealed that repairs were also necessary to the stonework, some of the tower’s brickwork needed repointing and two lancet windows lower down in the tower needed glass repairs. All this work was completed before Christmas. See the photo album Clock restoration. New notice boards were installed at the west porch entrance and the outside south doors were painted.